Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Huge Change!

Today was the day that dad moved into the apartment! He is 88 years old and of course he was not going to pack up his things and move. We decided to meet at dad's at 8 a.m. this morning. My younger sister and her oldest son, my older sister, my husband and our son all got there about the same time. Of course the men with losts of muscles moved all the big items. Us girls were in charge of remembering all the other stuff. We had the truck and two cars loaded and ready for the first trip an hour after we got there. It took us an hour to get it moved in and set up and put away. Back on the road and getting the second load. This time I was by myself and it all set in as to what we doing. It makes me very sad that this is another change and I am getting older. In another couple of months I will turn 60 which I am having a very hard time dealing with and it has been 9 months since mum passed away and here we are moving dad from the house. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very good thing for dad, he will be around more people and be able to have a social life, do things and yet have his own place that is alot of room for him and yet he does not have to maintain the place, pay taxes on it, mow grass, shovel snow or anything else that home owners have to do. He is much closer to town, can have his car, meals brought to his door if he does not want to cook, paper delivered to his door, mailbox inside and people his own age around him. It is good but it is another change and I am sad. My older sister is staying there with him tonight to make sure he is able to find his stuff, his meds and get him to go in and out of the building to make sure he understands the different systems. After leaving dad and Sis, I went back to the house to make sure it was closed up and locked up. I cried and left. We will be stopping in to see dad each night to make sure he is adjusting well, and make sure he does not need anything. I am sure he will do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment